WHY IS THE PROJECT IMPORTANT
The goal of the airport initiative is to improve and leverage the city’s municipal airport as a regional asset. Through intentional and focused efforts, the economic development team seeks to improve the physical airport infrastructure. The goal of revitalizing the airport is to support business, tourism, agriculture, emergency management, and aviation workforce development.
OVERALL PROJECT GOAL
- Continue to move forward with projects and plans that improve the physical infrastructure at the airport.
- Create programming that drives greater utilization of the airport facility and amenities.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO- DATE
- Efforts began by checking the number of planes currently kept at the airport and checking the condition of turn-around ramps and approach ends.
- The airport redevelopment has enabled quick rides for stopovers to local restaurants. It is bringing more people to the community and investing in its convenience as a rest stop between cities.
- The city and the team are working on advertising the facility and promoting it with open houses and fly-ins.
- They are in the process of finding grant funding, and once it is granted, the first step will be to fund fuel tanks at the airport.
GOALS FOR 2021
MAJOR WINS TO- DATE
NEXT 4 WEEKS PLAN
– Waiting on building materials.
– Looking at some grants and making some decisions
– Maybe having a small fall event
– Discussing next stages