Housing Development and Blight Removal
WHY IS THE PROJECT IMPORTANT
– From a town hall meeting sponsored by the Community Foundation of the Ozarks, the appearance of our town (in the form of dilapidated and dangerous houses and other structures) identified a problem area.
– ABC was founded to partner with the City of Aurora to help correct this problem. We want to eradicate and remove the dangerous and blighted property.
OVERALL PROJECT GOAL
– Establish a plan to expand into the restoration of the historic Bank Hotel building. We need to place a seal on the property (roof). Fixing the roof may cost $40-$50k. The team is investigating options to fund the project.
– We are looking to invite an expert on how to support funding for the project.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO- DATE
– Continuing partnership with the City government to further the goal of beautification.
Demolition of 6 dangerous houses in areas of high visibility.
– We have conducted a study on the hotel to determine the structural viability of the hotel project.
– Acquired a property on 303 South Elliott.
– A number of properties cleaned to date: Secured funding grant. We have cleaned up properties on Elliott Street and in the process of selling these.’
– Home Renovation (for a family).
– In discussions with the City about helping with distressed properties.
– Looking at a building for rehab considerations.
GOALS FOR 2021
– Establish stronger partnership with the city
– Take ownership of a few facilities and eliminate blight.
MAJOR WINS TO- DATE
NEXT 4 WEEKS PLAN
-Sold 2 lots on Elliott, recovering about $12,000 total. (Goal is to build a house).
– Evaluating Metropolitan Suites (historic building) to renovate.
– Home Renovation (for a family). In discussions with City about helping with distressed properties.
– Looking at a building for rehab considerations