Housing Rehabilitation and Development
We need help with:
- We are looking for leaders with various housing-related skills: real estate agents, developers, individuals looking to buy a home, etc. Your insights will be very helpful as we develop our town housing strategy.
WHY IS THE PROJECT IMPORTANT
Access to quality and affordable housing is the most fundamental asset needed to attract/retain young families to Carthage. The GRO Team will work alongside Carthage City Hall to create and mobilize a plan that helps improve local housing stock.
OVERALL PROJECT GOAL
- City Engagement: Engage with the city, learn about their efforts, and find out how the GRO Team can complement them. (Have the city make a presentation to the GRO Team.)
- Develop a Housing Sub-committee to tackle opportunities within Carthage.
- Goal: Start the housing study by September 30th, 2022
ACCOMPLISHMENTS TO- DATE
- The city is discussing how they can incentivize housing in the community. Carthage Water and Electric support structure are very different from other communities. This gives the community an additional avenue to expand its housing efforts.
- The 353 Tax Abatement is being actively discussed in the community.
- Zeb Carney, Director of Public Works at the City of Carthage, presented at the GRO meeting and shared detailed insights about the city’s housing plans.
- GRO Leader Stephanie Howard, Director of Business and Economic Development at Carthage Water & Electric Plant, has started exploring different options for introducing this housing study.
- The team has created a housing sub-committee consistent of City Administrators, Developers, Realtors, and Invested Community Leaders. This sub-committee will work together to develop community efforts to create housing plans in Carthage. The team has decided to develop goals for creating a Housing Study, Available Property, and Marketing to developers.