GRO Buffalo: What is it?
GRO Buffalo: What is it?
Buffalo Reflex • Wednesday, August 4, 2021 News 3
BY JOY BEAMER
When asking a resident what is GRO Buffalo? Most will say the Helping Hands group is GRO Buffalo. While Help ing Hands is the most visual group within GRO projects, the beautification projects are not the only vision from the group. GRO Buffalo wants to achieve community prosperity for all. The GRO programs launched in 2016, helping Missouri towns to establish economic development initiatives that bring sustainable local prosperity to the area. Today, there are nine GRO communities. Buffalo joined the pro Buffalo has been thriving throughout its history.
Pictured is the three story Laclede Hotel, now Nimmo Insurance. Filling out the Buffalo survey could lead to being awarded grants to improve or build for Buffalo. GRO leadership consists of local business leaders, county and city government and a big volunteer corp.
What has GRO Buffalo accomplished?
- Airport renovation: now have airplane traffic.
- Passed an essential school levy; gave a boost to the school district.
- Launched a leadership program, two classes have graduated, established relationships at Jefferson City.
- Helping Hands: cleaned up many local properties.
- Citizens took owner ship of the community and started Believe in Buffalo campaign.
- Business speaker events, having 100s of views.
- Buffalo won the Community Betterment Award, twice.
- Now the citizens have better local communication, partnerships, and trust.
- Industry day: brought state expertise, building and site owners, and community leaders together to evaluate and determine how open business sites could at tract new businesses to our community.
GRO Buffalo focuses on nine core initiatives that focus on a resilient economy, engage citizens and a vibrant place to live.
- Create it: Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Grow It: Expand local businesses
- Attract It: Bring in new businesses
- Community Outreach and Programming: newsletters, social media
- Academic and Experiential Learning: Leadership Buffalo, internships
- Community Support Services: health, chamber, networking
- Quality and Afford able Housing: senior housing, new homes
- Public Spaces and Experiences: skate park, ballpark, events
- Town Infrastructure: sidewalks, improvements
GRO Buffalo’s vision provides an umbrella where community leaders and members come together and create strategic direction, resources, and implementation for community priorities.
Anyone wanting to get involved in GRO Buffalo should contact Hollie Elliott, executive director of the Dallas County Economic Development call 417-345-2701 or 417- 319-4880. Please email her at email@example.com. GRO Buffalo welcomes all levels of expertise in business leadership, mentoring and talents.